Your Info Has Been Submitted! Thank You!
We’ll be in touch if we have any questions. If you have any questions for us, please email us at BeHeard@RocSpoke.org.
We look forward to your upcoming performance. In the meantime, spread the word!
If you’ve never read in front of a live audience before we suggest the following:
- Practice performing/reading your piece aloud, preferably to other people, but even doing it to yourself in front of a mirror is a good start.
- Record yourself performing/reading your piece. Listen to it back. You might be surprised at how fast you’re reading.
- Focus on articulating the words on the page and projecting. There’ll be a microphone when you perform at our venue, but it’s better to be too loud than too soft.
- Know your piece! Be familiar enough with your piece that you can look up from the page and engage your audience without fear of losing your place.
- If your piece is longer than a single page, format it so pages don’t break mid-sentence. Also, double-space your piece and use a font that is big enough for you to easily read it without needing to hold it up to your face.
- No matter the topic or tone of your piece, give it life when you read it. Showing enthusiasm about what you’re reading will help keep the audience engaged.
See you soon!